Definition of astigmatism in English:
A defect in the eye or in a lens caused by a deviation from spherical curvature, which results in distorted images, as light rays are prevented from meeting at a common focus.
- Whether myopia, hyperopia or astigmatism is present, surgical correction attempts to redirect light rays to accommodate the refractive error.
- Side vision is distorted and oblique rays of light passing through a spherical lens produce astigmatism.
- Apart from testing the eye, they supply booklets detailing eye care with particular reference to refractive errors such as myopia, hypermetropia and astigmatism.
- Example sentences
- The astigmatic person does not know which focal line to look at, and hunting between the two may cause eyestrain.
- Monet, on seeing those fields, described them as ‘enough to drive a poor painter crazy - impossible to render with our poor colors,’ but render them he did in his astigmatic but beautiful way.
- Ordinary soft lenses tend to mould to the astigmatic curve, but special toric soft lenses are available for astigmatism.
Definition of astigmatism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan