Definition of astragal in English:
1A convex molding or wooden strip across a surface or separating panels, typically semicircular in cross-section.
- Of the 286 planes, the majority, were simple moldings like common ogees, astragals, beads, hollows and rounds.
- Each panel has attached astragal beading with curved comers topped by a beaded and fluted moulded cornice.
1.2A wooden molding that covers the gap between a pair of doors or casement windows.
- Double doors usually meet with an astragal on the normally stationary leaf.
- Astragals have long been used to seal the separation between the double doors and at the same time increase the rigidity of the doors by providing a vertical member that is attached to one of the doors, normally the least active door.
- A single astragal running vertically in the centre of the window is a common feature on sash windows and may be faithfully replicated.
Words that rhyme with astragalMcGonagall
Definition of astragal in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.