A star-shaped glial cell of the central nervous system.
More example sentences
- Mercury accumulates in the central nervous system primarily in astrocytes, the cells that provide the first line of defense for the central nervous system against toxic compounds.
- They successfully grew skin cells, smooth muscle cells, neurons and other nerve cells known as astrocytes and oligodendrocytes, and pigment producing cells called melanocytes, Reuters reports.
- They observed both neurons and astrocytes, the two types of cells into which the brain stem cells mature.
- More example sentences
- The neoplastic cells demonstrated a spectrum of morphology ranging from astrocytic cells with only mildly enlarged, irregular nuclei to multinucleated cells displaying pleomorphic nuclei.
- Similarly, in astrocytic tumors, microsatellite instability is not associated with progression.
- Melanotic astrocytic tumors have been reported only recently.
Definition of astrocyte in:
- The British & World English dictionary