Definition of astrocyte in English:
A star-shaped glial cell of the central nervous system.
- Mercury accumulates in the central nervous system primarily in astrocytes, the cells that provide the first line of defense for the central nervous system against toxic compounds.
- They successfully grew skin cells, smooth muscle cells, neurons and other nerve cells known as astrocytes and oligodendrocytes, and pigment producing cells called melanocytes, Reuters reports.
- They observed both neurons and astrocytes, the two types of cells into which the brain stem cells mature.
- Example sentences
- The neoplastic cells demonstrated a spectrum of morphology ranging from astrocytic cells with only mildly enlarged, irregular nuclei to multinucleated cells displaying pleomorphic nuclei.
- Similarly, in astrocytic tumors, microsatellite instability is not associated with progression.
- Melanotic astrocytic tumors have been reported only recently.
Definition of astrocyte in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan