Definition of astrophysics in English:
The branch of astronomy concerned with the physical nature of stars and other celestial bodies, and the application of the laws and theories of physics to the interpretation of astronomical observations.
- Cosmology and astrophysics are branches of physics in which one needs an unusual combination of breadth and depth to excel.
- Modern astronomical research proceeds at a rapid pace due to the application of new technologies in astronomy and astrophysics.
- The picture suggests possible solutions to many outstanding questions in physics and astrophysics.
- Example sentences
- In order to find out what this mysterious energy really is, astronomers need to compare astrophysical observations that are at first sight completely unrelated.
- The study of these energetic particles will broaden our understanding of the formation and evolution of the solar system, as well as of the astrophysical processes involved.
- Pulsars and quasars may turn out to be commonplace in comparison to the exotic astrophysical events that gravity wave astronomy reveals.
- Example sentences
- For astrophysicists, dark matter has proved to be an elusive and mysterious substance.
- And each year, astronomers, astrophysicists, and amateur stargazers gather in dark, open fields to watch and record the meteor shower with hopes of witnessing a truly amazing event - a meteor storm.
- It is only more recently that astrophysicists have come up with a reasonably convincing argument as to why the Universe has this special symmetry.
Definition of astrophysics in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan