noun (plural atamans)
- A Cossack leader. See also hetman.More example sentences
- Each Cossack force had its own ataman and there was an ataman of all Cossack forces who, from 1827, was the heir to the imperial throne.
- After the defeat at Simbirsk, some other atamans betrayed Razin and gave him up to the authorities.
- From the outset, the Japanese cultivated Semenoff and like-minded Cossacks, and lavish gifts and money found their way to Chita and to strongholds of other atamans in eastern Siberia.
mid 19th century: from Russian.
More definitions of atamanDefinition of ataman in:
- The British & World English dictionary