Definition of ataxia in English:
- Other causes of apparent clumsiness include visual impairment, orthopedic disorders, mild cerebral palsy, hereditary ataxia, and congenital chorea.
- Over time, diverse clinical symptoms develop, among them peripheral neuropathies, ataxia, loss of position sense, and dementia.
- Other episodic neurological disorders include periodic paralysis, hemiplegic migraine, and episodic ataxia.
- Example sentences
- Toni is a high achiever but has the mildest form of ataxic cerebral palsy and needs a scribe to help with note taking as she has a tremor in her hand.
- Wernicke's encephalopathy is difficult to diagnose because the classic triad of confusion, ataxia, and ophthalmoplegia occurs in only 10% of patients, and drunk people are often confused and ataxic.
- If too much lithium is given there can be ataxic behavior with sedation and slurred speech.
Late 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek, from a- 'without' + taxis 'order'. The original sense was 'irregularity, disorder', later (in medical use) denoting irregularity of function or symptoms.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.