Definition of athirst in English:
- … he always thought that God in his goodness had created the plant to give drink to such as were athirst on a hot and toilsome march and so he looked with gratitude and admiration on its representative in Canada.
- I took also a handful of dried apples, most of which I gave to Shagg, for I was still athirst despite the cold, and could not swallow them.
1.1Very eager to get something: she was athirst for news
More example sentences
- He believed that the respect in which these journals were held by a reading public athirst for good commentary would cause a very undesirable public indignation in the event of their suppression.
- Baxter's life was a sermon, demonstrating, explaining, and applying the text, ‘my soul is athirst for God’.
- You are probably athirst with romantic desire.
Old English ofthyrst, shortened from ofthyrsted, past participle of ofthyrstan 'be thirsty'.
Definition of athirst in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan