Definition of athirst in English:
- … he always thought that God in his goodness had created the plant to give drink to such as were athirst on a hot and toilsome march and so he looked with gratitude and admiration on its representative in Canada.
- I took also a handful of dried apples, most of which I gave to Shagg, for I was still athirst despite the cold, and could not swallow them.
1.1Very eager to get something: she was athirst for news
More example sentences
- He believed that the respect in which these journals were held by a reading public athirst for good commentary would cause a very undesirable public indignation in the event of their suppression.
- Baxter's life was a sermon, demonstrating, explaining, and applying the text, ‘my soul is athirst for God’.
- You are probably athirst with romantic desire.
Old English ofthyrst, shortened from ofthyrsted, past participle of ofthyrstan 'be thirsty'.
Definition of athirst in:
- British & World English dictionary