- 1The spiritual life principle of the universe, especially when regarded as inherent in the real self of the individual.More example sentences
- A fundamental message of the film is that we are all connected, just as the Vedas teach that through atman we are all part of the universal soul of Brahman.
- Beyond the senses is the mind, beyond the mind, pure intellect, beyond the intellect, the great atman, beyond the great atman, the Unmanifest.
- The one who has discovered the supreme atman dwelling in the heart, without parts, without a second, the universal witness, neither being nor nonbeing, attains the pure form of the supreme atman.
- 1.1A person’s soul.More example sentences
- Every human being has an atman (individual soul - jiva-atman) that resembles the Universal Soul that is temporarily separated from It.
- The tip of his heart gets illumined and, being illumined, the atman departs through the eye or the head or some other part of the body.
- We have already seen that the self or atman is eternal and divine, whether it is considered to be identical with or separate from ultimate reality or God.
from Sanskrit ātman, literally 'essence, breath'.
More definitions of atmanDefinition of atman in:
- The British & World English dictionary