noun[usually in singular]
- So, trapped in the musty atmosphere of planet earth, they appear clumsy and fragile.
- What happens to the charged particles which came from the sun after they hit the atmosphere of the earth?
- During this time it will be collecting images of the surface and collating information about the atmosphere surrounding the Red Planet.
- The air was stale and the dusty atmosphere was enough to make all of them hesitant to breathe.
- Dusty atmosphere and physical exertions are extremely harmful for heart patients.
- To replace some of the moisture that central heating takes out of the atmosphere, hang a damp towel over a radiator or place a bowl of water next to one.
- Furthermore, our measurements of 10 atm of adhesion pressure strongly contradict the suction hypothesis.
- In the dilution stage, however, the internal pressure stays the same while the external pressure drops to zero, resulting in a pressure difference of 104 atm.
- A Langevin piston was used to maintain the pressure at 1 atm.
- Soothing music playing in the background created a relaxing atmosphere, setting the tone for the evening.
- An atmosphere of pervading gloom hung in the air.
- Such festivals attract large groups of young people together in an atmosphere of welcome, adventure and celebration.
- I know people who have done small city marathons and given up, because it had no atmosphere and they lost interest.
- Nothing can prepare you for the passion, atmosphere, humour, hatred and complete lack of interest in the quality of football that the majority of fans display.
- Buckner's interests move more toward atmosphere than concrete content, yet he never veers off too far into inscrutability or vagaries.
Mid 17th century: from modern Latin atmosphaera, from Greek atmos 'vapor' + sphaira 'ball, globe'.
This word meaning literally ‘ball of vapour’ is from modern Latin atmosphaera, from Greek atmos ‘vapour’ and sphaira ‘globe’.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.