- However happiness is not something that can be acquired, attained, achieved or gathered.
- The examples of terrorist organisations that have succeeded in attaining their strategic goals are few and far between.
- You may judge for yourself the degree to which I've succeeded in attaining that goal.
- The late Mrs. Boyle had attained the age of one-hundred years, and enjoyed good health up to the end.
- One in ten children die before they attain the age of five years, adds the report.
- The reality sinks in when they attain puberty by which time they are told they have no choice.
Middle English (in the senses 'bring to justice' and 'reach (a state)'): from Old French ateindre, from Latin attingere, from ad- 'at, to' + tangere 'to touch'.
Words that rhyme with attainabstain, appertain, arcane, arraign, ascertain, Bahrain, bane, blain, brain, Braine, Cain, Caine, campaign, cane, cinquain, chain, champagne, champaign, Champlain, Charmaine, chicane, chow mein, cocaine, Coleraine, Coltrane, complain, constrain, contain, crane, Dane, deign, demesne, demi-mondaine, detain, disdain, domain, domaine, drain, Duane, Dwane, Elaine, entertain, entrain, explain, fain, fane, feign, gain, Germaine, germane, grain, humane, Hussein, inane, Jain, Jane, Jermaine, Kane, La Fontaine, lain, lane, legerdemain, Lorraine, main, Maine, maintain, mane, mise en scène, Montaigne, moraine, mundane, obtain, ordain, Paine, pane, pertain, plain, plane, Port-of-Spain, profane, rain, Raine, refrain, reign, rein, retain, romaine, sane, Seine, Shane, Sinn Fein, skein, slain, Spain, Spillane, sprain, stain, strain, sustain, swain, terrain, thane, train, twain, Ujjain, Ukraine, underlain, urbane, vain, vane, vein, Verlaine, vicereine, wain, wane, Wayne
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.