(abbreviation AG or Atty. Gen.)
noun (plural attorneys general)
1The principal legal officer who represents a country or a state in legal proceedings and gives legal advice to the government.
- Yesterday, the Government asked the Attorney General for legal advice on the demolition of the flats.
- Yesterday, British politics was gripped by the release of the Attorney General's legal advice.
- With the support of the Attorney General an injunction could be sought in proceedings for public nuisance.
1.1The head of the US Department of Justice.
- We need an attorney general in charge of enforcement over in the Justice Department.
- We are joined now in Miami by Janet Reno, the former attorney general of the United States.
- He will be the first Hispanic attorney general of the United States.
Definition of attorney general in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.