- 1(Of a thing) pleasing or appealing to the senses: an attractive home foliage can be as attractive as flowersMore example sentences
- Opinions that I agree with are more restful, and a sense of humour is attractive.
- He is a small, intense individual with an attractive, self-deprecating sense of humour.
- The landscaping of the village is very attractive with mature trees adding great character.
- 1.1(Of a person) appealing to look at; sexually alluring: an attractive, charismatic manMore example sentences
good-looking, beautiful, pretty, handsome, lovely, stunning, striking, arresting, gorgeous, prepossessing, fetching, captivating, bewitching, beguiling, engaging, charming, enchanting, enticing, appealing, delightful, winning, photogenic, telegenic; sexy, seductive, alluring, tantalizing, irresistible, ravishing, desirable• informal drop-dead gorgeous, foxy, -licious• literary beauteous
- For I suddenly seem to be encountering a new generation of stunningly attractive women in their fifties.
- Footballer David Beckham is one of the most sexy and attractive men on the planet.
- She was naturally attractive with her cute face and short but nicely curved body.
- 1.2(Of a thing) having beneficial qualities or features that induce someone to accept what is being offered: the site is close to the high-rent district, which should make it attractive to developersMore example sentences
- This opens up a spectre of interesting possibilities, none of them attractive to him.
- However the interest rate gap was still proving attractive to foreign investors.
- The region needs this type of investment to make it attractive to industrialists, tourists, and workers.
- 1.3Of or relating to attraction between physical objects.More example sentences
- Adhesion is the attractive force that exists between the coating and the gun metal.
- It is not easy to deform a solid because of the strong attractive forces within the structure.
- If two atoms start to move apart, the attractive forces will draw them back toward each other.
- More example sentences
- And the food was indeed attractively presented on those huge white plates often favoured in fancy restaurants.
- The book is attractively produced and very well illustrated with maps and the explorers' own sketches and letters to relatives.
- These conditions have created a wealth of attractively priced opportunities for private equity investors.
- More example sentences
- She likes men and draws them to her with her attractiveness and interest in them.
- It can cause a new mother to doubt her physical attractiveness and sex appeal.
- While London's attractiveness is fading, the allure of cities such as Glasgow and Edinburgh is growing.
late Middle English (in the sense 'absorbent'): from French attractif, -ive, from late Latin attractivus, from the verb attrahere (see attract).