Definition of aural in English:
- Another option is a digital aural thermometer that measures the temperature in the ear.
- Without doubt, especially during training, aural and other forms of fine sensory feedback are needed.
- Sellers faced an even bigger hurdle: he was moving from an aural medium to a visual one.
- Example sentences
- She had helped slow learners, schizophrenic adults, people who were visually and aurally impaired, and children with autism and cerebral palsy.
- The results reveal that children who were good at comprehending materials presented via TV were also good at comprehending materials presented aurally.
- One is the recency effect, which can occur when questions are presented aurally, and respondents, lacking sufficient time to process all responses and place them in long-term memory, select the last response offered.
ear from Old English:
Unsurprisingly, since their meanings are so dissimilar, the ear that allows you to hear and the one that bears seeds are different words. The first is an Old English word that goes right back to an ancient root that was shared by Latin auris, from which we get aural (mid 19th century). The second seems to come ultimately from the same root as Latin acer meaning pointed or sharp. To earmark (late 16th century) something is to set it aside for a particular purpose. Originally, though, it referred to the practice of marking the ear of an animal as a sign of ownership.
You might say that your ears are burning if you are subconsciously aware of being talked about or criticized. This phrase has been around in English since at least the early 1600s, but the idea is an ancient one, which the 1st-century ad Roman scholar Pliny mentioned in his Natural History. In 1738 Jonathan Swift wrote, ‘Miss, didn't your Left Ear burn last Night?…Because…you were extolled to the Skies.’
Words that rhyme with auralaboral, choral, floral, goral, oral
Definition of aural in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.