Definition of aureole in English:
1A circle of light or brightness surrounding something, especially as depicted in art around the head or body of a person represented as holy.
- The prominently depicted hen and rooster form the brightest spot in the foreground, as they are encircled by an aureole of light.
- Facing them, the rest of us could see little but shadowy faces, surrounded by bright aureoles.
- She rubs pigment into engraved lines and allows this to produce a slick aureole around the image.
1.3 Geology The zone of metamorphosed rock surrounding an igneous intrusion.
- Metamorphic aureoles around the granitic rocks are estimated to extend on the order of 1 km from the granitic rocks.
- This is the widest metamorphic zone in the aureole.
- A thermal metamorphic aureole is developed in the sedimentary country rocks.
Words that rhyme with aureolegloriole, oriole
Definition of aureole in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.