Definition of auricle in English:
nounAnatomy & Biology
1A structure resembling an ear or earlobe.
- The auricles are small, clearly separated from the anterior and posterior margins of the shell and are found in the plane of the closing of the valves.
- The new species differs from it in being narrower and higher at a comparable growth stage and in having less oblique auricles.
1.1 another term for atrium (of the heart).
- This involves inserting a device within a catheter into the interior of the heart and which spreads out like an umbrella inside the right and left auricle.
- The heart appears to be the most primitive of all adult vertebrates, with the auricle, ventricle and conus arteriosus arranged in straight line, rather than being doubled over one another.
1.3The external part or pinna of the ear.
- Within head injuries auricles were mainly bruised.
- Inflammation or infection of external auditory canal and auricle.
- Radiographic examination revealed opacities consistent with bony structure in the auricles of the ears, with the right more prominent than the left.
late Middle English: from Latin auricula 'external part of the ear', diminutive of auris 'ear'.
Definition of auricle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan