Relating to or denoting a family of languages spoken in an area extending from Madagascar in the west to the Pacific islands in the east. Also called Malayo-Polynesian.
- Today, Austronesian languages are spoken from Madagascar in the west, to Easter Island in the east.
- Small Austronesian languages are another area of current research.
- Archaeological evidence supports the commonly held theory that peoples speaking Austronesian languages first came to the islands some 4,000 years ago.
The Austronesian family of languages.
- He is continuing experiments on the Indo-European issues, and has new work on Austronesian in progress.
- Some people argue against it, but I think the evidence for Austronesian is very strong.
- The indigenous languages belong to the Central Oceanic branch of Eastern Austronesian and are divided into eastern and western branches.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Austronesian in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.