Definition of authenticate in English:
1Prove or show (something, especially a claim or an artistic work) to be true or genuine: they were invited to authenticate artifacts from the Italian Renaissance
More example sentences
- He said such evidence could include originals or copies of documents authenticated by the UN fact-finding commission.
- The significant problem with both press releases and web pages that describe these items is that they provide little, if any, hard data that authenticates the identification of these items as valid artifacts or bones.
- The family claimed asylum in the UK, but, despite evidence that included authenticated documents, their story was not believed and their claim was rejected.
1.1Validate: the nationalist statements authenticated their leadership among the local community
More example sentences
- ‘It authenticates the mission of the church,’ he says, finishing his strong argument as I finish his strong coffee.
- That authenticates the spiritual meaning of the place and makes it that much more attractive and mysterious rather than just a lump of rock that looks pretty in the sunset.
1.2 [no object] Computing (Of a user or process) have one’s identity verified.
- In order to access the functions with your browser, you must first authenticate with a user name and password.
- A closed portal requires users to authenticate before they get access.
- The global internet browsing policy dictates that everyone must authenticate with user credentials prior to gaining access to the internet.
- Example sentences
- A team of independent authenticators comprising qualified magicians and local personalities had a close watch and he was allowed to take 15-minute break once in eight hours.
- Her confidential source was not reliable and her authenticators were unable to authenticate the documents.
- Users should keep their security authenticators, whether these are just passwords, a list of one-time passwords, hardware tokens, or the PINs to unlock these tokens, private, and protect them from potential abuse.
Words that rhyme with authenticatedomesticate
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan