- (Of minerals and other materials) formed in their present position. Often contrasted with allogenic.More example sentences
- This mineral is probably authigenic clay that formed in the spring waters while the silica was being precipitated.
- These may be reprecipitated and incorporated into authigenic materials, such as glauconite, various carbonates, and iron and manganese oxides.
- He regarded the iron phosphate strengite to be the typical form of authigenic phosphate in freshwater deposits.
late 19th century: from Greek authigenēs 'born on the spot' + -ic.
More definitions of authigenicDefinition of authigenic in:
- The British & World English dictionary