Definition of autism in English:
A mental condition, present from early childhood, characterized by difficulty in communicating and forming relationships with other people and in using language and abstract concepts.
- Children with autism have difficulty using their imagination, communicating or interacting.
- Even for the most able children and young people with autism, their disability presents enormous challenges.
- People with autism have difficulty filtering what they see around them and are unable to work out what is important.
- Example sentences
- But if many virtues are inaccessible to an autist, so too are many vices.
- It's an unsatisfactory term, because an autist's sense of self is almost as rudimentary as his sense of other people.
- As things stand in British arts, only an autist would dare to profess disinterest in diversity.
Words that rhyme with autismsexism • racism • paroxysm
Definition of autism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.