- (Of an Eastern Christian Church) appointing its own head, not subject to the authority of an external patriarch or archbishop.More example sentences
- Further, the Orthodox tradition, with its autocephalous churches and sufficiently full agreement in doctrine, presents an alternative to centralized authority.
- The Albanian Orthodox Archdiocese in America is an autocephalous church established in 1908.
- Obviously, further definition is needed in this area to describe the relationships between autocephalous and national church communities, for example, but we cannot go into this here.
mid 19th century: from Greek autokephalos (from autos 'self' + kephalē 'head') + -ous.
More definitions of autocephalousDefinition of autocephalous in:
- The British & World English dictionary