Definition of autumn crocus in English:
A crocuslike Eurasian plant of the lily family, cultivated for its autumn-blooming flowers.
- Genus Colchicum, family Liliaceae: several species, in particular meadow saffron
- Many of the autumn crocus come in varying shades of lilac.
- Colchicine is an alkaloid isolated from the autumn crocus.
- The word ‘Croceal’ or ‘saffron’ describes an orange-yellow colour; the word takes its root from the colour of an autumn crocus, also known as a meadow saffron.
Definition of autumn crocus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.