Definition of autumn crocus in English:
A crocuslike Eurasian plant of the lily family, cultivated for its autumn-blooming flowers.
- Genus Colchicum, family Liliaceae: several species, in particular meadow saffron
- Many of the autumn crocus come in varying shades of lilac.
- Colchicine is an alkaloid isolated from the autumn crocus.
- The word ‘Croceal’ or ‘saffron’ describes an orange-yellow colour; the word takes its root from the colour of an autumn crocus, also known as a meadow saffron.
Definition of autumn crocus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan