Definition of avens in English:
A plant of the rose family, typically having serrated, divided leaves and seeds bearing small hooks. Several kinds are grown in gardens.
- Genus Geum, family Rosaceae: several species, including the widespread water avens (G. rivale), with drooping pinkish flowers, and the mat-forming alpine avens (G. montanum)
- Along with a heavy ground cover of soft mosses are horsetails and such wildflowers as Ross's avens, bluebells, sweet coltsfoot, a grass-of-Parnassus, a fleabane, and various sedges.
- Among the wildflowers are a red columbine, aster, figwort, wild sarsaparilla, fleabane, and avens.
- In a study on Devon Island, just south of Ellesmere, the hares fed mainly on Arctic willow in winter, supplemented in summer with Arctic avens, grasses and sedges.
Definition of avens in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia