- (Of a microorganism) not virulent.More example sentences
- Concerning biotic stress, plants exposed to virulent and avirulent pathogens respond with a range of defence- and damage-limiting mechanisms.
- The main common defence reaction is the hypersensitive response, characterized by the induction of rapid cell death at the site of the attempted attack by either an avirulent strain of a pathogen or a non-pathogen.
- In Arabidopsis plants infiltrated with avirulent bacteria, specific calcium ‘waves’ were found to occur concurrent with the oxidative burst, leading to the HR.
More definitions of avirulentDefinition of avirulent in:
- The British & World English dictionary