- A long-legged wading bird with a slender upturned bill and strikingly patterned plumage.
More example sentences
- Genus Recurvirostra, family Recurvirostridae: four species, including the American avocet (R. americana), which has black and white plumage
- Shorebirds, for those of you who want to know but are afraid to ask, comprise many families of birds, including oystercatchers, stilts, avocets, plovers, turnstones, sandpipers and phalaropes.
- Currently, visitors to the flats are likely to see sandpipers, avocets, oystercatchers, godwits, dowitchers, plovers and other shorebirds on their way south.
- There are herons, ducks, geese, ospreys, eagles, vultures, pelicans, gulls, plovers, avocets, storks, francolins, guinea fowls and many more.
late 17th century: from French avocette, from Italian avosetta.
More definitions of avocetDefinition of avocet in:
- The British & World English dictionary