Definition of awn in English:
A stiff bristle, especially one of those growing from the ear or flower of barley, rye, and many grasses.
- Phenotypic traits include barbed lemmas, small sterile lateral spikelets, short glume awns, narrow leaves, semismooth awns, and long rachilla hairs.
- Notably lacking are spikelet fragments, chaff, awns, pods, and weed seeds that comprise the debris from processing such crops for storage or from using dung as fuel.
- Just before the fruit matures, it changes from green to brown and the awns separate from the central axis to disperse the seeds.
- Example sentences
- The monosomic F 1 of the cross between monosomic 6B of CS and Norin 26 (awned cultivar) was awned, by which I could correctly capture b2.
- The first morphological difference that arises between the lemma primordia of awned and calcaroides genotypes is marked by a change in the overall length of the organ.
- In segregating F 2 populations, we registered the number of awned, awnless, and short-awned plants.
Definition of awn in:
- British & World English dictionary