Definition of awn in English:
A stiff bristle, especially one of those growing from the ear or flower of barley, rye, and many grasses.
- Phenotypic traits include barbed lemmas, small sterile lateral spikelets, short glume awns, narrow leaves, semismooth awns, and long rachilla hairs.
- Notably lacking are spikelet fragments, chaff, awns, pods, and weed seeds that comprise the debris from processing such crops for storage or from using dung as fuel.
- Just before the fruit matures, it changes from green to brown and the awns separate from the central axis to disperse the seeds.
- Example sentences
- The monosomic F 1 of the cross between monosomic 6B of CS and Norin 26 (awned cultivar) was awned, by which I could correctly capture b2.
- The first morphological difference that arises between the lemma primordia of awned and calcaroides genotypes is marked by a change in the overall length of the organ.
- In segregating F 2 populations, we registered the number of awned, awnless, and short-awned plants.
Definition of awn in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India