noun (plural axillae /akˈsilē/)Anatomy
- 1The space below the shoulder through which vessels and nerves enter and leave the upper arm; a person’s armpit.More example sentences
- The T2 nerve root controls the palms on either side and the T4 nerve root controls the axilla and armpit.
- A holosystolic murmur that may radiate to the axilla, the upper sternal borders or the subscapular region is apparent on physical examination.
- Extremities showed tenderness over the right shoulder and axilla.
- 1.1 Botany An axil.More example sentences
- Basal branches emerged from lower axillas and developed earlier.
- In coconut palms, egg-laying occurs at the axillas of the leaves.
early 17th century: from Latin, diminutive of ala 'wing'.
More definitions of axillaDefinition of axilla in:
- The British & World English dictionary