Definition of axiom in English:
1A statement or proposition that is regarded as being established, accepted, or self-evidently true: the axiom that supply equals demand
More example sentences
- I decline to accept as an axiom that our fate is involved in that of France.
- It is an axiom that every research establishment is strong to the extent of an unbreakable link existing between different generations.
- We have all heard the very true axiom that bookmakers really don't care who wins any given game, as long as there are equal amounts wagered on both sides.
1.1chiefly Mathematics A statement or proposition on which an abstractly defined structure is based.
- The second chapter presents a development of absolute and Euclidean geometry based on Hilbert's axioms.
- Robert Simson of Glasgow University had, in his 1756 edition of the Elements, given a proof of the parallel axiom based on another assumption.
- He sees mathematics as ontology and so his return to philosophy is to a systematic one based on the axioms of set theory.
Words that rhyme with axiompotassium • calcium
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan