noun (plural axmen)
1A person who works with an ax: he was like an axman at work in a tangled thicket
More example sentences
- It's that scene in The Shining when Shelley Duvall stumbles across Jack Nicholson's literary labours, just before he turns into the mad axeman.
- So there's the famous case of the mad axeman who breaks into your house and is threatening you and is asking where your children are hiding, do you tell the truth?
- I admire his bravery - I'd be worried about a mad axeman husband turning up on my door if I got up to all that.
2 informal A rock or jazz guitarist.
- Andy's performance was especially impressive, as the diminutive axeman shifted from chunky rockers to white-soul wah-wahs with effortless dexterity.
- Ever wondered what happened to the arch axeman of the defunct Ultrasound?
- He opens with a gorgeous study for prepared guitar, but the bulk of the record is given over to duets with fellow axemen.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of axman in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.