Definition of axolotl in English:
A Mexican salamander which in natural conditions retains its aquatic newtlike larval form throughout life but is able to breed.
- Ambystoma mexicanum, family Ambystomatidae
- A number of salamanders, such as the North American ‘mudpuppy’ and the Mexican axolotl, develop legs but retain their larval gills and stay in the water throughout their lifetimes.
- Another family, the Ambystomatidae occurs in the New World from Canada to central Mexico and includes the tiger salamander and the axolotl.
- Urodele amphibians such as newts and axolotls show a remarkable capacity for regenerating body structures such as tails, limbs, jaws, and the lens of the eye.
Late 18th century: from Nahuatl, from atl 'water' + xolotl 'servant'.
Words that rhyme with axolotlbottle, dottle, glottal, mottle, pottle, throttle, wattle
Definition of axolotl in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.