Definition of azimuth in English:
1The direction of a celestial object from the observer, expressed as the angular distance from the north or south point of the horizon to the point at which a vertical circle passing through the object intersects the horizon.
- However, the clusters involved neighboring tree crowns that were progressively shorter in height in directions opposite the solar azimuth.
- The distance r is independent of the distant galaxy's azimuth around the axis of displacement.
- The relative aspect is defined as the subject's aspect minus the solar azimuth.
1.1The horizontal angle or direction of a compass bearing.
- This CEALETI-patented technology produces poles on each head with alignment and integrated azimuth angle.
- As each shot was made - with the same camera, lens, and film type - I also noted the date and time and used a compass to find the direction in azimuth that the camera was pointing at the time the photo was taken.
- Nest orientation was then recorded, relative to magnetic north, as the azimuth bisecting the nest opening.
- Example sentences
- Did you ever stop to consider the interesting problem of shaping the depth of the bath along a radius to allow azimuthal propagating modes?
- In theory, an analysis of flow direction can provide unique azimuthal directions.
- These results indicate that in the force range 0-20 pN, the changes in azimuthal orientations of the DNA segments are roughly comparable to those for the polar angles.
Definition of azimuth in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan