Definition of babul in English:
(In South Asia) a tropical acacia introduced from Africa, used as a source of fuel, gum arabic, and (formerly) tannin.
- Acacia nilotica, family Leguminosae
- During the Ahmedabad action, Gandhi wrote leaflets to his followers, the mill workers, every day, and every evening he would gather them around him ‘under the famous babul tree on the banks of the Sabarmati outside the Shahpur gate.’
- The trees that are said to have the worst litter are the Persian lilac and babul.
- While babul is actually an evergreen, it produces fresh foliage every spring and so is classified with mesquite as deciduous.
early 19th century: from Hindi babūl.
Definition of babul in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan