1(Of vehicles) form a line due to congestion: the traffic began to back up
More example sentences
- It is hoped this will combat problems resulting from the queue of taxis backing up into Kings Road.
- Contractors are due to start work on January 13 to put in place a series of initiatives that they hope will help to ease congestion at locations where traffic constantly backs up.
- Cars and other vehicles queued for hours to reach the fair, backing up through Stow Square and up to the Fosseway.
2(Of running water) accumulate behind an obstruction.
- Often the water backs up because the drains are clogged.
- When the sewers become overwhelmed with rainwater the overflows work to ensure water is prevented from backing up in the system.
- When the foul water sewer is overcharged, the foul water backs up and can force open the manhole cover in Mr. Marcic's front garden, thereby escaping into the garden.
Definition of back up in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.