Definition of backbone in English:
1The series of vertebrae extending from the skull to the pelvis; the spine.
- Both chickens and humans are vertebrates, a group of animals that have skulls and backbones.
- Snakes have hundreds of similar vertebrae in their backbones, as can be seen in the skeleton of a python embryo.
- This jawless mouth sets the lamprey and its cousin the hagfish apart from all other modern vertebrates - animals with backbones.
1.2 Biochemistry The main chain of a polymeric molecule.
- The protective mucus in the gastrointestinal tract consists of glycoproteins - a protein backbone with carbohydrate side chains.
- It has been proposed that the photoexcited flavin molecule adds a cysteine residue of the protein backbone, thus activating autophosphorylation of the enzyme.
- Third, specific interactions between the polar headgroups and chemical groups of the backbone and side chains of the peptide are missing from the model.
2The chief support of a system or organization; the mainstay: these firms are the backbone of our industrial sector
More example sentences
- Today, an access control system is the backbone of many organizations' total security plan.
- Can't sophisticated people attack the computer systems that are the backbone of these big financial institutions?
- ‘The focus is on developing a core of strong domestic banks to be the backbone of the financial system,’ she said.
2.1Strength of character; firmness: he has the backbone to see us through this difficulty
More example sentences
- True, they have not that softness of speech which is said to be possessed by Londoners, but they have plenty of grit and backbone in their characters.
- What the football team needs now is a head coach with backbone and character.
- Character and backbone behind closed doors is why, among players, he is still respected.
3 Computing & Telecommunications A high-speed, high-capacity digital connection which forms the axis of a local or wide area network.
- The first major project completed was the digital backbone network, which spans the entire country since its completion in February this year.
- Villagers cannot afford to use the network even if the backbone transport and connection are free.
- Smaller players can connect to their backbones via high-speed access lines, paying for a transit link to make the connection.
Words that rhyme with backboneDione • hambone
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.