noun(the backcountry) chiefly North American
- Sparsely inhabited rural areas; wilderness: exploring the backcountry on horseback [as modifier]: backcountry skiingMore example sentences
- We're talking off the pavement, into the backcountry and up a mountain.
- In British Columbia, the popularity of the backcountry has helped turn guided skiing into big business.
- Canyonlands National Park saves most of its highlights for the backcountry enthusiast.
More definitions of backcountryDefinition of backcountry in:
- The British & World English dictionary