Definition of backer in English:
1A person, institution, or country that supports something, especially financially: $3.3 million was provided by the project’s backers
More example sentences
- The president and his backers insist that the opposition's relentless protests calling for reform have hurt the economy and have made implementing changes impossible.
- While expanding a project's scope may seem like a good way to spend that extra money or attract additional backers, if you do not plan it out correctly, it can be a bad thing for your project.
- His company attracted high-profile backers.
1.1A person who bets on a horse.
- In this way, the backer enters into the traditional role of the gambler and the lawyer enters into the traditional role of the bookmaker.
- Ante-post backers with the traditional High Street bookmakers were hit by the withdrawals of several horses with big chances.
- This philosophy has not only made Dunstone popular with punters, it has made his early backers very rich.
Words that rhyme with backeralpaca, attacker, clacker, claqueur, Dhaka, hacker, Hakka, lacquer, maraca, paca, packer, sifaka, slacker, smacker, stacker, tacker, tracker, whacker, yakka
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.