Definition of backfill in English:
Refill (an excavated hole) with the material dug out of it: they backfill the hole to street level
More example sentences
- Finally we backfilled the hole and went to the house to clean up.
- The contractor digs a small hole down about 18 ft., places a 12-in.-diameter slotted pipe in the hole, and backfills it with 0.75-in. washed rock.
- The excavated soil should be mixed with well-rotted organic matter or a tree-planting compost before backfilling the hole.
nounBack to top
Material used for backfilling.
- It also implies, but does not explicitly require, important installation details, such as complete backfilling of the trench and thorough compaction of backfill.
- The use of tire shreds as backfill has benefits ranging from the inherent lightweight of the material to increase in permeability.
- Compaction of backfill materials is normally carried out by mechanical means, to achieve a specified percentage of compactivity.
Definition of backfill in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.