1(Of an engine) undergo a mistimed explosion in the cylinder or exhaust: a car backfired in the road
More example sentences
- It was far too loud to be attributed to a car engine backfiring, and immediately drew the clientele to rush like moths against the window.
- The car engine backfired in three sudden bursts as they drove off.
- Deafening car stereos, honking horns and noises like gun shots ring out as hundreds of drivers deliberately make their car engines backfire.
2(Of a plan or action) rebound adversely on the originator; have the opposite effect to what was intended: overzealous publicity backfired on her
More example sentences
- Due to the uprising the plan has backfired on an epic scale.
- Nothing can serious happen to them, as they are locked in their battle, and the worst thing that can happen is their plan backfiring.
- Never before has a devious little plan backfired so badly.
1A mistimed explosion in the cylinder or exhaust of a vehicle or engine.
- My favourites are still the RX7 rotaries, which give magnificent flameouts and backfires from the exhaust when the drivers lift their foot off the accelerator.
- On the battlefield, this engine produced a loud backfire when starting, instantly drawing enemy fire.
- However, just a few days later the aircraft suffered serious damage following a fire started by an engine backfire.
2North American A fire set intentionally to arrest the progress of an approaching fire by creating a burned area in its path, thus depriving the fire of fuel.
- Fires were initially started as backfires to blacken areas adjacent to firelines.
- Most flame weeders on the market are the same ones used by fire fighters to set backfires.
- For both fires, portions of the barrens sample area were burned by the backfire flame while other portions were burned by a more intense headfire.
Words that rhyme with backfireacquire, admire, afire, applier, aspire, attire, ayah, barbwire, bemire, briar, buyer, byre, choir, conspire, crier, cryer, defier, denier, desire, dire, drier, dryer, dyer, enquire, entire, esquire, expire, fire, flyer, friar, fryer, Gaia, gyre, hellfire, hire, hiya, ire, Isaiah, jambalaya, Jeremiah, Josiah, Kintyre, latria, liar, lyre, Maia, Maya, Mayer, messiah, mire, misfire, Nehemiah, Obadiah, papaya, pariah, peripeteia, perspire, playa, Praia, prior, pyre, quire, replier, scryer, shire, shyer, sire, skyer, Sophia, spire, squire, supplier, Surabaya, suspire, tier, tire, transpire, trier, tumble-dryer, tyre, Uriah, via, wire, Zechariah, Zedekiah, Zephaniah
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.