Definition of backscatter in English:
1Deflection of radiation or particles through an angle of 180°.
- This inversion technique takes into account atmospheric effects on the radiation and spatial variations in the surface emissivity and backscatter.
- Different solutions have therefore been published: using the magnetic and magnetic-electrical characteristics of this layer, using the sound velocity of ultrasonic waves, and using the backscatter of ultra-sonic waves.
- Clear sky forcing is the direct backscatter of solar radiation in clear skies.
1.1Radiation or particles that have been deflected in this way.
- A lens filter of appropriate laser wavelength may be used over the top of an endoscope viewing port to protect the eye from laser backscatter.
- Ultrasonic backscatter does react to changes in structure, however it can not be linked to a determined hardness value using the indentation method.
- Colors are derived from side scan backscatter data, with warmer colors (red and yellow) indicating high backscatter, and cooler colors (blue and purple) indicating low backscatter.
1.2 Photography Light from a flashgun or other light source that is deflected directly into a lens: backscatter causes an underexposed picture with a blizzard effect
More example sentences
- You will also be able to judge the water clarity - too much backscatter - forget the flash (if you're able to) and go to available light.
- The holy grail of acoustic swath mapping is to use backscatter more quantitatively; that is, to transform the image into estimates of seafloor properties.
- Thanks, that is interesting, I had thought that the flash backscatter was the worst aspect.
verb[with object] Physics Back to top
Deflect (radiation or particles) through an angle of 180°: (as adjective backscattered) backscattered sound reaches the sonar receiver
More example sentences
- Monazites were identified in thin section by their very bright backscattered electron images and verified by energy-dispersive spectrometry.
- Incident solar energy is backscattered away from the earth and acts as a natural cooling mechanism for this area.
- Lidar uses a pulsating laser source and signals backscattered by molecules and particles are analysed using a specially designed telescope.
Definition of backscatter in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan