Definition of backscatter in English:
1Deflection of radiation or particles through an angle of 180°.
- This inversion technique takes into account atmospheric effects on the radiation and spatial variations in the surface emissivity and backscatter.
- Different solutions have therefore been published: using the magnetic and magnetic-electrical characteristics of this layer, using the sound velocity of ultrasonic waves, and using the backscatter of ultra-sonic waves.
- Clear sky forcing is the direct backscatter of solar radiation in clear skies.
1.1Radiation or particles that have been deflected in this way.
- A lens filter of appropriate laser wavelength may be used over the top of an endoscope viewing port to protect the eye from laser backscatter.
- Ultrasonic backscatter does react to changes in structure, however it can not be linked to a determined hardness value using the indentation method.
- Colors are derived from side scan backscatter data, with warmer colors (red and yellow) indicating high backscatter, and cooler colors (blue and purple) indicating low backscatter.
1.2 Photography Light from a flashgun or other light source that is deflected directly into a lens: backscatter causes an underexposed picture with a blizzard effect
More example sentences
- You will also be able to judge the water clarity - too much backscatter - forget the flash (if you're able to) and go to available light.
- The holy grail of acoustic swath mapping is to use backscatter more quantitatively; that is, to transform the image into estimates of seafloor properties.
- Thanks, that is interesting, I had thought that the flash backscatter was the worst aspect.
verb[with object] Physics Back to top
Deflect (radiation or particles) through an angle of 180°: (as adjective backscattered) backscattered sound reaches the sonar receiver
More example sentences
- Monazites were identified in thin section by their very bright backscattered electron images and verified by energy-dispersive spectrometry.
- Incident solar energy is backscattered away from the earth and acts as a natural cooling mechanism for this area.
- Lidar uses a pulsating laser source and signals backscattered by molecules and particles are analysed using a specially designed telescope.
Definition of backscatter in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.