Definition of backspace in English:
1A key on a typewriter or computer keyboard that causes the carriage or cursor to move backward.
- I've been digging through pictures cursing myself for not documenting my work better, typing the details from my notes then suddenly, I broke the backspace key on my computer.
- I tapped on the keyboard, pressing the backspace key much more frequent than the other keys.
- The backspace and the delete keys don't work on my computer right now because my sister spilled honey all over it.
verb[no object] Back to top
Move a typewriter carriage or computer cursor back one or more spaces.
- The < BS > markers show where I hit the BackSpace key - note that the text I was backspacing over remains in the log.
- I then peacefully backspaced through my email and re-wrote.
- The telltale signs: writing a few words, then furiously backspacing; paralysis of the hands; an overwhelming desire to check my e-mail, surf the Web, get a soda, anything but confront the blank screen.
Words that rhyme with backspaceabase, ace, apace, base, bass, brace, case, chase, dace, efface, embrace, encase, enchase, enlace, face, grace, interlace, interspace, in-your-face, lace, mace, misplace, outface, outpace, pace, place, plaice, race, space, Thrace, trace, upper case
Definition of backspace in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.