Definition of backspace in English:
1A key on a typewriter or computer keyboard that causes the carriage or cursor to move backward.
- I've been digging through pictures cursing myself for not documenting my work better, typing the details from my notes then suddenly, I broke the backspace key on my computer.
- I tapped on the keyboard, pressing the backspace key much more frequent than the other keys.
- The backspace and the delete keys don't work on my computer right now because my sister spilled honey all over it.
verb[no object] Back to top
Move a typewriter carriage or computer cursor back one or more spaces.
- The < BS > markers show where I hit the BackSpace key - note that the text I was backspacing over remains in the log.
- I then peacefully backspaced through my email and re-wrote.
- The telltale signs: writing a few words, then furiously backspacing; paralysis of the hands; an overwhelming desire to check my e-mail, surf the Web, get a soda, anything but confront the blank screen.
Definition of backspace in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan