Definition of backstitch in English:
Sewing with overlapping stitches.
- Mattress stitch instead of backstitch means that I can see what I'm doing as I'm attaching.
- For hand appliqué, outline the flowers and leaves with three strands of embroidery floss using a backstitch, running stitch or stem stitch.
- A blind-hem catchstitch is an excellent choice if sewing by hand - each stitch is a backstitch, adding flexibility to the hem.
verbBack to top
Sew using backstitches: [with object]: you can simply backstitch the edges [no object]: this method avoids having to backstitch through open loops
More example sentences
- The featured garment has groups of five rows of topstitching (backstitched at the beginning and end), spaced 5'' apart along the pintucked length.
- Topstitch 1/8'' in from the side edges, backstitching at the pocket corners.
- As an alternative to backstitching, begin the stitching right at the dots and leave thread tails to tie off; overlap the stitching where it meets at the center back.
Definition of backstitch in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia