1The part of a racecourse that is farthest from the grandstand and parallel to the homestretch.
- The son of Mr. Prospector, a $4-million yearling purchase, was angled to the outside leaving the backstretch and made a powerful run on the turn to reach the leaders.
- Fifth on the inside down the backstretch, he had to wait until midstretch before he could angle Perfect Sting between rivals and they just got up for the victory.
- On Sunday, the Kentucky-bred son of Pulpit stretched that streak to four when he rated a ground-saving fourth down the backstretch before plunging through a tiny hole on the inside to notch his second consecutive graded stakes victory.
1.1The area adjacent to a racetrack where the horses are stabled and stable employees have temporary living accommodations.
- The sale was conducted in a tent on the Saratoga Race Course backstretch with sale horses stabled at the track.
- Both riders were injured when their horses ducked into the inside rail when they saw an infield walking path used to bring horses from the backstretch to the saddling enclosure.
- It was not immediately known what effect, if any, the fireworks show had on the Breeders' Cup runners stabled on the nearby backstretch.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of backstretch in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.