Definition of backward-compatible in English:
(Of computer hardware or software) able to be used with an older piece of hardware or software without special adaptation or modification.
- The new specification is backward-compatible with FireWire 400, though it will need a special adapter to connect.
- All of the major tape suppliers have committed to standards and backward-compatible roadmaps that will ensure devices and software will be available that can read the tapes that are created today.
- Technically the only thing harder than making a new optical storage device is making it backward-compatible with something else.
backward compatibility noun
- Example sentences
- Among its various benefits, the patch breaks the backward compatibility of the user interface.
- The need to consider backward compatibility, with various operating systems, printers, and monitors, has now come to application design and development.
- This allows programmers to make improvements to the standard while retaining backward compatibility with earlier iterations.
Definition of backward-compatible in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.