1Relating to Sir Francis Bacon or his inductive method of reasoning and philosophy.
- Hume's analysis has been interpreted as reinforcing Baconian inductivism, a tradition that perhaps owes as much to Hume's epistemological investigations as to the counsel of Francis Bacon himself.
- A deeper reflection on this verse and other verses of similar import will go a long way toward warding off a Baconian infiltration of Islamic philosophy and science through the back door.
- The Review was strongly influenced by the Baconian philosophy throughout the pre-Civil War period.
1.1Relating to or denoting the theory that Bacon wrote the plays attributed to Shakespeare.
- Its content ranged from debate over textual cruces to the latest developments in Baconian theory, and it took a particular interest in Shakespeare clubs.
- He also took part in the Baconian controversy, arguing in favour of Shakespearian authorship, in Shakespeare, Bacon and the Great Unknown.
- Such external circumstances at the basis of the Baconian theory assume that Shakespeare was not educated enough to have written the works attributed to him.
1An adherent of Bacon’s philosophical system.
- Though truth is not self-revealing (as Cartesians and Baconians thought), though certainty may be unattainable, the human situation with respect to knowledge is far from desperate.
- The name has often been canvassed, especially by Baconians.
- I think my favourite bit is when he travels into the future, or anyway a future, only to be sentenced to death when he lets slip that he's a Baconian, or maybe I mean Oxfordian.
Words that rhyme with BaconianAberdonian, Amazonian, Apollonian, Babylonian, Bostonian, Caledonian, Catalonian, Chalcedonian, Ciceronian, Devonian, draconian, Estonian, Etonian, gorgonian, Ionian, Johnsonian, Laconian, Macedonian, Miltonian, Newtonian, Oregonian, Oxonian, Patagonian, Plutonian, Tennysonian, Tobagonian, Washingtonian
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Baconian in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.