Definition of bacteroid in English:
Of the nature of or resembling a bacterium.
- At that time, nodule plant fraction and bacteroid soluble protein contents did not show any significant effect by ABA, whilst the latter only declined by day 9.
- Cytosolic PEP carboxylase in nodules catalyses the conversion of PEP and HCO - 3 (in equilibrium with CO 2) into oxaloacetate, which is used for the bacteroid respiration during nitrogen fixation.
nounBack to top
A bacteroid organism or structure, especially a modified cell formed by a symbiotic bacterium in a root nodule of a leguminous plant.
- Ammonia is exported from the bacteroids into the plant cell cytosol where it is assimilated, and directed to the synthesis of amino acids and/or ureides for subsequent export from the nodule.
- One mechanism that may increase benefits to relatives is found in strains whose bacteroids convert plant metabolites to rhizopines-compounds that cannot be re-assimilated by the plant nor used by unrelated soil bacteria.
- Nodule cortex cells that contain ineffective bacteroids might undergo programmed cell death, although we are unaware of any evidence suggesting that such mechanisms exist.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.