Definition of baker in English:
1A person who makes bread and cakes, especially commercially.
- We had the candles, hatters, cobblers and bakers representing the strong trades in Rathkeale in the 19th century.
- The yeast used to make beer is the same type that is used to make bread - in fact, breweries used to sell their yeast to bakers for use in bread.
- When a baker sells his bread for money to a shoemaker, he has supplied the shoemaker with his saved unconsumed bread.
1.1 [often with modifier.] An oven for a particular purpose: a bread baker
More example sentences
- Hildebrand followed Timon's gaze to the slight girl leaning against the stall of a pastry baker.
- I joined your list his week because of an interest in making bread with a bread baker.
- My kids (22, 25) come for Sunday brunch and love the smell when they walk into the kitchen after I have programmed my bread baker.
Old English bæcere, from bacan (see bake).
Definition of baker in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan