Definition of balata in English:
1A tropical American tree that bears edible fruit and produces latex.
- Several species in the family Sapotaceae, in particular, Manilkara bidentata
- No person shall extract gum from, or cut for the purpose of extracting gum, any Balata tree growing on private land.
- Soon after, covers were made of balata, a sap-like substance from the South American balata tree.
1.1The dried sap of the balata tree used as a substitute for rubber.
- The modern era of golf ball covers was dominated by balata, a natural rubber that provided high spin rates and soft feel but lacked durability.
- These youngsters - all under 22-are the first generation to play without any first-hand experience or memory of the days when woods were persimmon and balls were balata.
- The Big Bertha produced a greater average carry, whether the clubhead speed was 85, 95 or 108 miles per hour, on center hits, high toe hits or low heel hits, with a two-piece ball or a three-piece wound balata.
early 17th century: from Carib balatá.