Definition of baleen whale in English:
A whale that has plates of whalebone in the mouth for straining plankton from the water. Baleen whales include the rorquals, humpback, right whales, and gray whale. Also called whalebone whale.
- Suborder Mysticeti, order Cetacea: three families and ten species
- Its calls do not match those of any known species, although they are clearly those of a baleen whale, a group that includes blue, fin and humpback whales.
- Its snouty head, patchy grey body and small pedal fins make the dwarf look more like a large dolphin than a baleen whale.
- Only one meat sample from a baleen whale exceeded the allowable mercury concentration, the researchers report in the June 15 Environmental Science and Technology.
Definition of baleen whale in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.