- A whale that has plates of whalebone in the mouth for straining plankton from the water. Baleen whales include the rorquals, humpback, right whales, and gray whale. Also called whalebone whale.
More example sentences
- Suborder Mysticeti, order Cetacea: three families and ten species
- Its calls do not match those of any known species, although they are clearly those of a baleen whale, a group that includes blue, fin and humpback whales.
- Its snouty head, patchy grey body and small pedal fins make the dwarf look more like a large dolphin than a baleen whale.
- Only one meat sample from a baleen whale exceeded the allowable mercury concentration, the researchers report in the June 15 Environmental Science and Technology.
More definitions of baleen whaleDefinition of baleen whale in:
- The British & World English dictionary