- A large open-air fire; a bonfire.More example sentences
- When the solstice lordship settled upon him, he had rousted the minstrels and set great back-alley feasts, lighting the lives of London's poor like a balefire on a barren heath.
- In many parts of the British Isles these balefires are still lighted on Samhain to honor the old ways.
- Even today, balefires are lit all over Britain and Ireland on May Eve, just as they were in the past.
Old English (recorded in poetry), from obsolete bale 'great fire' + fire.
More definitions of balefireDefinition of balefire in:
- The British & World English dictionary