- A natural or manufactured joint or coupling, such as the hip joint, in which a partially spherical end lies in a socket, allowing multidirectional movement and rotation.More example sentences
- The hip joint is a ball-and-socket joint because the spherical head of the femur moves inside the cup-shaped acetabulum.
- The ball-and-socket joints in your shoulders allow your arms to move in a circular motion next to your body, a semicircular motion away from your body and through all the planes in between.
- ‘The rotator cuff is the ball-and-socket joint of your shoulder, and it's made up of four muscles,’ says Kevin O'Leary, D.C.
More definitions of ball-and-socket jointDefinition of ball-and-socket joint in:
- The British & World English dictionary