1A fragrant ointment or preparation used to heal or soothe the skin.
- Body washes, shampoos, liquid talc, massaging balms and skin lotions are all priced at £3.99.
- With modern grooming products, battery-powered razors, and shaving balms to smooth the skin, there's probably no excuse for a man to have any facial hair.
- An extension to her practice is the line of lotions, gels, creams, balms and lip glosses.
1.1Something that has a comforting, soothing, or restorative effect: the murmur of the water can provide balm for troubled spirits
More example sentences
- Indeed, an evenly divided Congress could provide the healing balm the country desperately needs.
- They come for the balm that touch can provide in times that are immensely stressful to the human psyche.
- It also reminds in the quietest way how families can provide a balm against this worry.
2A tree that yields a fragrant resinous substance, typically one used in medicine.
- Species in several families, in particular those of the genus Commiphora (family Burseraceae).
- A typical nest thus pointed out by an over-obliging bird was saddled neatly on a horizontal limb of a balm tree at the height of about 30 feet from the ground and the ever-present lake.
- The balm tree is no longer found in Judea.
- Now this did not one jot move the orange till she saw a man at work with an incision-knife, upon a balm-tree there at hand, to let out the balsam.
3 (also lemon balm or sweet balm) A bushy herb of the mint family, with leaves smelling and tasting of lemon.
- Melissa officinalis, family Labiatae.
- Growing my own fresh herbs saves me easily $35-50 per year… I grow my own oregano, basil, lemon balm, lemon thyme, chives, sage, and cilantro.
- The consensus is that they tend to avoid aromatic herbs including garlic, onions, chives, rosemary, lavender, lemon balm, mint, tansy, lovage, marjoram, thyme, sage and fennel.
- My favorite herbs to grow are basil, oregano, lemon balm, parsley and mint.
3.1Used in names of other aromatic herbs of the mint family, e.g., bee balm.
- I almost passed over her, cloaked in an old brown robe and deep in conversation with a toothless old peasant woman selling various herbs and balms.
- The apothecary, Harold, was robbed of some herbs and balms, as I am sure you know.
- I purchased my bee balm from flea and farmer's markets.
Words that rhyme with balmalarm, arm, Bairam, barm, becalm, calm, charm, embalm, farm, forearm, Guam, harm, imam, ma'am, malm, Montcalm, Notre-Dame, palm, psalm, qualm, salaam, smarm
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.